Join our Board of Directors!
The Caring and Sharing Exchange (C&SE) is an Ottawa-based charity which provides assistance to local families and individuals in need. Founded in 1915, the C&SE mission is to provide our neighbours with relief and dignity during difficult times of the year in the most fair and efficient way possible.C&SE is home to the Christmas Exchange Program, Sharing in Student Success, Kindness Week in Ottawa and the innovative coordination service.
Join the Board of Directors
The C&SE Board of Directors is a positive and committed group of individuals who actively participate in building sustainable and dignified support for those in need in our community. It is currently looking to recruit new Board Directors who possess enthusiasm for giving back to the local community.
Ideally candidates to serve on the Board will bring a mix of leadership and networking skills as well as have knowledge and experience with not-for-profit charities. As Directors, you will help shape the strategic direction, policies and overall governance for the C&SE. In particular, the Board is looking to attract new Directors who can bring fundraising, legal, governance and/or financial skills to the organization.
The Board is responsible for the overall well-being of the organization. If you are an individual who is committed to bettering the community through active volunteerism and are willing to invest a portion of your time in a worthwhile cause, you will be a good fit for the C&SE in being able to put your expertise to good use in governing and promoting the C&SE.
In return for joining our leadership team, you will get the chance to engage your sense of community and get new and valued experiences working on a Board of Directors of an active not-for-profit organization, which is 106 years old!
Term: Three (3) years and may be extended for additional term(s) of three years. A Board Director’s term typically begins in June at the Annual General Meeting.
Meetings: The Board shall meet between three (3) to seven (7) times a year, for typically around one (1) to two (2) hours. In addition to attendance at and preparation for meetings, Directors are expected to participate in email and telephone dialogues on various matters that arise between and as a result of meetings.
Responsibility: The Board of Directors is accountable and legally responsible for the overall management and conduct of all business affairs of the C&SE, in accordance with the Letters Patent and the By-Laws of the organization. Serving in a volunteer capacity, Directors are to provide overall governance, guidance and leadership in establishing the direction of the C&SE by setting policies and overseeing the adherence to same, while ensuring the ongoing financial well-being of the organization
Expectations of Board Directors
- To help frame the values, vision, and mission of the C&SE.
- Assist in formulating and establishing strategic plans, goals, and the annual budget.
- To help establish and support a governance structure to carry out the Board’s work in overseeing, monitoring and evaluating the organization’s operations.
- Adopt programs to carry out the mission and goals.
- To attend all Board Meetings and the Annual General Meeting of C&SE.
- To review C&SE governance policies and provide recommendations.
- To participate on Board Committees.
- To develop a working knowledge of C&SE procedures.
- To read Board Meeting Minutes and other documents circulated for meetings.
- To participate and maintain friendly positive working relationships.
- To adhere to C&SE confidentiality agreement – To speak positively of C&SE.
- To carry out your duties to the best of your ability and the interest of C&SE.
Board of Directors shall serve without remuneration. No Director shall directly or indirectly receive any profit from occupying the position of Director. Directors may be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in the performance of their duties.